Since inception in 2007 Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary has been run by a Management Committee with the help of an Advisory Board since 2010.
The Advisory Board was made up of individuals who through their positions, experience, talents or qualifications were an important source of direction and support to the management of Eseltjiesrus to help build a secure and viable organisation. The members of the Advisory Board gave the Sanctuary fresh perspectives on a series of issues. The first Advisory Board meeting was held on Tuesday 28th September 2010.
In July 2012 the Advisory Board and the Management Committee were combined to form the new “Board of Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary” whose role is to:
- set overall policy;
- determine strategies and be part of the strategic planning;
- determine the annual budget including salary levels and conditions of service of senior management staff positions;
- take fiduciary responsibility for the organisation; and
- receive reports from the Executive Committee in terms of the above roles.
The Board, elected by our members at the AGM in August 2021, currently consists of:
Non-executive Board Members:
- Eberhard Bertelsmann - Arbitrator and commissioner in insolvency enquiries and former Judge of the High Court and past president of the Pretoria SPCA.
- Iris Bolton - Educator and former Front of House Manager at The Fugard Theatre.
- Anthony Coombe - Governance & Financial Consultant, Past Managing Partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers Cape Town and Past President of Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Johan du Preez - Businessman, past CEO of Rooiberg Wines, entrepreneur, conservation & animal welfare activist.
- Lorna Fuller - Director of Project 90 by 2030.
- Carole Hambleton-Moser - Past Chair of the Heart Charitable Investment Trust at Heart Capital, former Vice President Credit Suisse, Geneva, and former Head, Credit Suisse Representative Office, Cape Town.
- Sarah Kvalsvig - Lawyer and consultant at Cullinan and Associates Inc.
- Louise Matschke - Green Skills & Partnership Strategist, Cape Town Environmental Education Trust.
- Jim McNamara - Chair of the Animal Welfare Society of South Africa and former Executive Director, Development and Alumni, University of Cape Town.
- Andrea van Lille - Chartered accountant with RGR Inc.
- Tozie Zokufa - Executive Director Coalition of African Animal Welfare Organisations.
- Johan van Zijl - Co-Founder and Chair of the Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary Board.
- Annemarie van Zijl - Co-Founder, Communication, Outreach & Advocacy.
- Tony Saddington - Financial Manager, Chair of the Executive Committee & Secretary of the Board.
- David Kramer - South African singer, songwriter, playwright and director.