Since inception in 2007 Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary has been run by a Management Committee with the help of an Advisory Board since 2010.
The Advisory Board was made up of individuals who through their positions, experience, talents or qualifications were an important source of direction and support to the management of Eseltjiesrus to help build a secure and viable organisation. The members of the Advisory Board gave the Sanctuary fresh perspectives on a series of issues. The first Advisory Board meeting was held on Tuesday 28th September 2010.
In July 2012 the Advisory Board and the Management Committee were combined to form the new “Board of Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary” whose role is to:
- set overall policy;
- determine strategies and be part of the strategic planning;
- determine the annual budget including salary levels and conditions of service of senior management staff positions;
- take fiduciary responsibility for the organisation; and
- receive reports from the Executive Committee in terms of the above roles.
The Board, elected by our members at the AGM in August 2018, currently consists of:
- Anthony Coombe (Governance and Financial consultant)
- Johan du Preez (CEO at Rooiberg Winery)
- Carole Hambleton-Moser (Chair of the Heart Charitable Investment Trust at Heart Capital and formerly Vice President & Head, Credit Suisse Representative Office, Cape Town)
- Sarah Kvalsvig (Lawyer and consultant at Cullinan and Associates Inc.)Louise Matschke (Education and Training Manager, Cape Town Environmental Education Trust)
- Jim McNamara (Formerly Executive Director, Development and Alumni, University of Cape Town)
- Mariana Rabie (Fund Raiser and formerly Marketing Manager, AgriExpo)
- Johan van Zijl (Founder and Chairperson of the Board)
- Ton Vosloo (Past Chair of Naspers)
In addition the following (who comprise the Executive Committee) are members of the Board:
- Annemarie van Zijl (Founder and Donkey Welfare, Outreach and Advocacy Manager at Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary)
- Tony Saddington (Administrative and Financial Manager at Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary) (Secretary of the Board & Chairperson of the Executive Committee)
- Juanita Lourens (Donkey Care and Farm Manager at Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary)